Tofu is a food packed with protein and calcium, but does it contain carbs? Read on to find out more on this topic!
The answer is yes, but it’s not that simple. There are many kinds of tofu, and each type has its own pros and cons. In this post, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about tofu, including how to choose the right one for you. Let’s get started!
What Is Tofu?
Tofu has a bad reputation for being bland, but this is not entirely true. You can find a wide variety of recipes for tofu that are delicious, healthy, and versatile.
Tofu is a soybean product that has come to dominate the vegetarian and vegan diets. This is quite easy to make at home. This is traditionally an Asian style meal which is high in protein and low in fat.
Does It Contain Carbs?
Most people recommend Tofu because it has a high amount of protein and has a low content of sodium and fat. However, what people might not realize is that it does in fact contain carbs.
The amount of carbs in Tofu is quite low which is why it is still a good source of food when trying to lose weight.
Like anything, there are different amounts of carbs in different Tofu recipes. Here are some of the different recipes with the different carbohydrate content in them:
- Silken – This is Japanese style Tofu which is unpressed and undrained. This means, this type of tofu has a very high water content in them. Carbs wise, it has 1.4 grams of carbs per 100g serving.
- Firm tofu – Firm tofu is loved by many because it is known to soak up the flavors of sauces really well and also has a higher water content. Therefore, you are most likely going to find this type of tofu in stir-frys. This has 2.3g of carbs per 100g of tofu.
- Soft tofu – This specific type of tofu is used mainly in soups and dressings. This is a Chinese style recipe and has about 2g of carbs in 100g of tofu.
- Dry tofu – This type of tofu holds its natural shape really well. This i seither grilled or baked because the structure is able to hold its structure. Many people even use this as a substitute for meat. Due to the crumbling part of the tofu, people do use it as ground meat and cook the same as you would the meat. This one is on the higher side of the carbs count reaching 2.6g of carbs per 100g of tofu.
Is Tofu Good For Losing Weight?
Even though tofu does have carbs it is still considered a great option to include in your diet for losing weight and having a balanced diet. We all know we need carbs in our diet but just not too many. Therefore, if you are vegan, this is even better for you.
This is also known for being better for you protein wise than having a large amount of poultry and meat because it has less saturated fats included. Tofu also has a really low calorie count which makes it ideal for people who are trying to lose weight.
What You Need To Keep In Mind
- If you eat quite a lot of carbs in your diet, tofu is a great replacement for them. It has a lower carb count and doesn’t have many calories either but has lots of protein. Therefore, you will be feeling fuller for longer but would have consumed less calories.
- It is best to either bake or grill your food because it is better for you. When people start deep frying their tofu, this is where it starts to become less healthy because of the fast and oils.
- Tofu has a very similar texture to meat and ground meat especially. This is a great way to replace some of the meat in your diet with tofu. Then you will be able to have a lower calorie count.
Overall, tofu has become very popular for people who love to workout and watch what they are eating. This is because it has a low calories amount and is also rich in protein and low in fat. This is the perfect addition!
People are always looking for good replacements to make their diets as healthy as possible and this is also a great way to try new things and maybe start going vegan.
Vegan options have become very popular because they have everything you need for a balanced diet without the dairy and meat.
Hopefully this article has helped you understand everything you need to know about the different types of tofu you are able to purchase and how many carbs they have in each.
It is important to know that not all types of tofu are cooked the same or used in the same ways so you can use them correctly and then they will be effective in your meals.
Even if you are on a low carb diet, this is a great choice to add into your diet and you can always make it with other food in your diet to try this new option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Tofu OK On A Low-Carb Diet?
Tofu is a great low-carb, high-protein option for your keto diet. Tofu has roughly 2.3 grams of tofu per 1/2 cup serving. There’s also 0.4 grams of fiber, which means the net carbs in tofu is only 1.9 grams per serving. That’s actually pretty good!
Is Tofu Good For Weight Loss?
Tofu is a cholesterol-free, low-calorie, high-protein food that’s also rich in bone-boosting calcium and manganese. Tofu may help you to lose weight by keeping you fuller for longer on fewer calories than meat.
It may reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when swapped for saturated fat-heavy animal proteins.
- How Many Calories In A Bratwurst? - May 9, 2023
- How Many Calories In A McDonald’s Ice Cream Cone? - May 9, 2023
- How Many Calories In Chick-Fil-A Fries? - May 9, 2023